12/12/17 was a historic day in Portland, Oregon. I got to meet one of my heroes Hillary Clinton…again. I met her 10 years ago during her first run for President and a few times since, but this time I got to talk to her and it was AWESOME!
These are the top 10 things I learned from Hillary on Tuesday night:
- There is too much at stake for ANY of us to sit on the sidelines
- The only way we will get sexism out of politics is to get more women into politics
- You can’t win if you don’t run
- Women have to step up and seize this opportunity to make this OUR moment
- We must make women and #metoo an issue for OUR elected officials – tell them what it means for you
- Give yourself the gift of believing in yourself, follow a path that you love, and be confident enough to believe in YOU
- Do not be a victim of the perfection gene-be confident and get out and actually “try it”
- Everyone gets knocked down, what matters is if you get back up
- Women are seen unfavorably when we advocate for ourselves and favorably when we advocate for others
- Women are an anomaly now but the more women run the less that will happen
DID YOU SEE WHAT HILLARY SAID THERE?
NOW IS THE TIME FOR WOMEN TO RUN FOR OFFICE!
IF YOU WANT TO RUN AND WANT A TEAM OF BADASS COACHES IN YOUR CORNER HELPING YOU DIVE DEEP INTO YOUR PASSION, BUILD YOUR CONFIDENCE, AND BE AN AUTHENTICALLY FIERCE CANDIDATE THEN MY PARTNER MELANIE CHILDERS AND I HAVE A PROGRAM FOR YOU!
- 6 months of 1:1 coaching with Melanie and Missy
- 1 half-day VIP day to give you a strong start
- Email and text access
- 6 30 min. emergency calls
We are so excited to work with you and the program is filling up fast – we only have space for 20! What are you waiting for? SIGN UP AND get in there.
12/12/17 was a historic day in Alabama. It was the day that Doug Jones beat Roy Moore for the United States Senate. A day that very nearly didn’t come. Because of racist voter suppression, every single vote counted on Tuesday and many African American voters were unable to cast their vote at the polls.
Can you imagine if the African American vote wouldn’t have been suppressed?
Did you know that it was Selma that put Doug Jones over the top?
Did you know that 96% of black women and 93% of black men voted for Doug Jones?
Did you know that white women in America are racist, sexist, misogynists who consistently vote against their own interests and bodily autonomy?
(12/16/17-UPDATE: My friend Carol McDonald of Meridian Solutions made this point after this Teen Vogue article was posted, “We should stop describing voters as “voting against their best interests.” It presumes we understand what their interests are. Maybe we can’t stomach that a majority of white women in Alabama preferred a pedophile but they were pretty clear all along about their reasons for doing so. These women hold a privileged position in patriarchy and white supremacy and they had no intentions of letting that go.” She is right. I did it. A lot of white people do it. Our shortsightedness is to assume we know what is right for everyone…and that is just going to keep us stuck.
Did you know that it is our job as white women to call other white women out on their racist, sexist bigotry because this shit MUST come to an end.
I have been doing it with my friends, are you doing it with yours?
Read it and then stir the pot…look at your own racist assumptions…support women you know in Alabama who are combating racism. Fuck. Shit. Up.
It is Friday…fuck shit up y’all.
Dr. Melissa Bird
NEW COACHING PROGRAM!!!!
Unleashing Your Voice is for you if you want to learn how to:
1. Use your voice in a powerful way
2. Speak up and advocate for yourself and your community
3. Make feminism a way of life
4. Face your fears about speaking out
5. Figure out what makes you passionate so you can talk about it
Let’s unleash your audacious, brave voice together.
I have 5 spots left for 2018.
Send me an email and let’s get started today!
If you want to sign up for my newsletter, subscribe right here.